Course Dates, Venues and Fees
|MN144||23 - 27 Sep 2018||Dubai - UAE||$4,750|
Why Choose this Training Course?
This interactive, applications-driven 5-day training course will highlight the added value that Heavy Duty Diesel Engines can offer to support engineers and technicians working in power plants, petroleum industries, and fleet management and maintenance. It will show how to safely use such engines economically, safely and environment friendly.
The training course will emphasize the application of related recommended operation and maintenance practices advised by the most reputable manufacturers and by the relevant standards, focus on proper HD Diesel engine selection for specific jobs, retrieval and interpretation of data from HD Diesel engines manuals.
This training course will feature:
- Discussions on the benefits and applications of heavy duty Diesel HDD engines
- The importance of correct operation and maintenance of HDD for better reliability
- The detailed description of HDD systems and characteristic performance
- Focusing on electronic control of HDD for economy and environment friendly operation
Training Objectives click here
What are the Goals?
By the end of this training course, participants will be able to:
- Outline the principle of operation of diesel engines
- Specify the difference between Heavy Duty Diesel Engines and normal Diesel engines
- Describe how combustion occurs in diesel engines
- Explain the reason of air charging in diesel engines
- List and explain the principle of operation of air charging systems in diesel engines
- List and explain the operation principle of various types of fuel injection systems used in HDD
- Describe the layout and components of various fuel injection systems used in HDD
- Explain how quantity and timing of injected fuel can be controlled
- State the benefits of Diesel Electronic Control (DEC)
- List and explain the principle of operation of various HDD emission control systems
- Outline the procedure and requirements for servicing HDD
- Outline the HDD basic routine maintenance operations
- List and explain how to fix the common HDD troubles
Target Audience click here
Who is this Training Course for?
This PetroKnowledge training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Vehicles fleet maintenance engineers and technicians
- Fleet maintenance supervisors
- Automotive maintenance engineers
- Automotive maintenance technicians
- Diesel power generation plants engineers and technicians
Training Methods click here
How will this Training Course be Presented?
This training course will utilise a variety of proven adult learning techniques to ensure maximum understanding, comprehension and retention of the information presented. The daily course sections will be highly interactive and participative. It also involves detailed discussions accompanying the presentation of videos showing the recent development in HDD, their correct operation, control and and maintenance, and how to troubleshoot their common troubles. Delegates are strongly encouraged to bring and analyse data from their own work domain; this adds greater relevancy to the content.
Daily Agenda click here
Day One: Introduction to Heavy Duty Diesel (HDD) engines
Competency Description: A comprehensive introduction to the HDD engine terminology and related standards, HDD engines performance characteristics, and effect of design features of HDD engines performance and economy of operation economy.
- Define HDD engine rating
- Interpret a set of HDD engine terminology and relevant standards
- Explain the performance curves of HDD engine
- Outline the design consideration, construction features, and materials for HDD engine
- State the HDD engine applications
Topics to be covered
- Meaning of HDD engine: Rating – Load factor – Operation duration
- HDD engine glossary of terms
- International standards for HDD engine
- HDD engine Internal and external characteristic performance curves
- Design considerations of HDD engine
- HDD engine construction features and materials
- HDD engine Applications
Day Two: Work Cycle and Combustion in HDD Engines
Competency Description: The description and comprehensive understanding of the HDD engines operating cycle and combustion, the Diesel fuel types and properties, and the types of air charging systems in HDD engines.
- Describe the work cycle and performance curves of HDD engines
- Clarify the impact of injection types on Diesel engine performance
- Explain the principle of operation of the systems of air charging in Diesel engines
- List the factors that influence the combustion quality in HDD engines
- Outline the various fuel types for HDD engines
Topics to be covered
- Work cycle, internal and external characteristic curves of HDD engines
- Diesel fuel (Classification – Fuel properties – Fuel tests)
- Combustion process in Diesel engines
- Compression ratio
- Combustion chambers shapes
- Direct & indirect injection methods
- Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI)
- Air charging in heavy duty diesel engines:
- Types (Mechanical – Turbo – Pressure wave)
- Turbocharger configuration (Combined – Two stage - Variable geometry – Sequential)
- Turbocharger control (Pressure – Fuel compensation)
- Turbocharger performance characteristics
Day Three: Fuel Injection Systems in HDD Engines
Competency Description: Delegates will be expected to make a meaningful contribution to everything associated with HDD engine injection systems, and in this respect, they will need to take cognizance their principle of operation, their design features and methods of control of quantity and timing of injected fuel.
- Draw a layout diagram and name the components of basic fuel injection systems for HDD engines
- Differentiate between HEUI and MEUI injection systems
- Explain the impact of diesel fuel filters on injection elements service life
- Explain how to control of injected fuel quantity and timing
Topics to be covered
- Types and principle of operation of fuel injection systems:
- Cummins systems: (PT – CELECT unit injector – Accumulator – HPI – XPI)
- Caterpillar systems: (HUEI/A – HUEI/B – Navistar – MEUI/A – MEUI/B)
- In-line or multi-plungers systems.
- Common rail systems
- HDD engines fuel injection systems layout and components.
- Methods of control of injected fuel quantity and timing: (Hydraulic, pneumatic, electronic)
- Diesel fuel filtration and water separation.
Day Four: Electronic Diesel Control (EDC)
Competency Description: Participants need to gain a sound understanding of the main electronic control strategies in HDD engines, and key factors of reducing HDD engines emission, with emphasis on controllable modes of engine operation.
- Clarify the effect of Elec. Diesel Control (EDC) on engine performance and economy
- Draw a diagram of Layout of EDC and name the components
- Explain the role of EDC system components
- State the controlled quantities or modes of HDD engines operation
- List the systems of HDD engine emission control
- Describe the principle of operation of HDD engine emission control
Topics to be covered
- Advantages of EDC
- EDC basic layout and components (ECU – Sensors – Actuators – Layout for various types of fuel injection systems)
- Open& Closed loops and data processing
- Controlled quantities: Start – Drive mode – Idle speed – Maximum speed – Intermediate speeds – Cruise speed - ….)
- Injected fuel quantity limits
- Emission control systems;
- Diesel Oxidation catalyst (DOC)
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
- Selective catalyst Reduction (SCR)
- Urea Injection (UI)
- Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)
- Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV)
Day Five: Operation and Maintenance of HDD Engine
Competency Description: As a leader, you need to ensure that the HDD engine does not just perform correctly, but also optimally. As such, strategies must be envisaged, which will prove beneficial to the operation, both in the short-term and long term perspective.
- Outline how to conduct HDD engines routine maintenance.
- Interpret the on-board diagnostic information.
- Tune HDD engines for better performance.
- Troubleshoot HDD engines and rectify the faults.
- Test the injection system components.
- Use a set of modern diagnosis techniques for HDD engines.
Topics to be covered
- Operation Tips for HDD engine
- Indicator lamps
- On-Board diagnostics
- Fuel type
- Items to be noticed
- Tips for efficient operation
- Maintenance of diesel engines
- Basics of mechanical maintenance
- Servicing of diesel fuel injection systems
- Diesel engine tune up
- Diesel engine routine maintenance operations (time-based, distance- based)
- Diesel engines trouble shooting
- Forms of diesel engine components failure
- Engines trouble shooting and fault rectification
- Testing of injection pumps, injectors, fuel feed pumps
- Tests for assessment of engine condition (compression, leakage tests)
Related Courses click here
- Risk Based Maintenance Workshop
- Troubleshooting Process Operation
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA) Facilitator Workshop
- Certificate Course in Creating Maintenance Excellence
- Construction & Building Envelope Inspection
- Construction Quality Control On Site