Why Choose this Training Course?
A critical component of decision-making in the energy industry deals with the aspect of “Whither oil prices?”: Where do we expect prices to move in the near- and distant-terms? Participants in the Energy Industry are constantly confronted with a wide range of information regarding current and prospective prices in their industry. Broadly, this data comes from analyses of supply-and-demand changes, geopolitical events and the financial markets, including the commodity markets.
While providing the requisite background on the economics of financial commodity markets, as well as the statistical tools required to understand them, this PetroKnowledge training course demonstrates how the financial and commodity markets provide useful information for the generation of “expected prices,” or forecast prices, in the critical areas of oil, natural-gas and refined products. In so doing, the course will also demonstrate the important distinction between valuation and risk/return analyses.
This PetroKnowledge training course on Forecasting the Prices of Crude-Oil, Natural-Gas and Refined Products will develop an understanding of pricing, risk management, asset valuation and derivatives within the energy markets:
- Learn to use financial models to analyze and forecast energy prices; extrapolate forward prices beyond the liquidity tenor
- Understand the risk of and return from futures and options contracts on energy commodities
- Manage and optimize your organization’s energy risk exposure
- Learn to estimate and calculate volatility in energy prices
- Utilize real options theory to value energy assets; use information from futures/option prices to make optimal production decisions: Optimal timing for extraction, optimal rate at which to extract oil (gas) from a field; value oil fields, pipelines and storage facilities, power plants