Professionals of the petroleum industries are more than ever required to know and understand the regulations, polices, and practices governing their industry. This requirement extends not just to lawyers, but also geologists seeking out new mining sites, engineers planning the drills, and those responsible for drawing up mining contracts, who all need to know the legal and policy technicalities affecting their industry. However, knowledge of the black letter law is no longer enough; a practical understanding of operations is also a necessity.
During this training, delegates will acquire the fundamentals of international petroleum law, along with contract negotiation techniques and strategies that work in international and multicultural settings.
Delegates will also learn how to effectively negotiate in concert with counsel and how to get the terms negotiated incorporated into an enforceable international petroleum agreement. The hands-on practical exercises will give you an understanding of the art of negotiations. You will understand the fundamentals of the petroleum laws, the components of 'the deal', timing, strategies for gaining the upper hand in contract negotiations, games opponents play, good vs. bad negotiations and the pitfalls of positional bargaining.
After attending this course, delegates will be better equipped to negotiate profitably with international companies and governments in order to enforceable agreements that contain terms and conditions most productive for their company. This training course is specifically designed for professionals involved internationally in the petroleum industry, it offers a unique opportunity to rapidly increase your understanding of the legal issues involved in various international scenarios and to improve your techniques and skills in drafting a variety of international contracts.
This International Petroleum Law & Policy training course will highlight:
- Legal and policy background of the petroleum environment
- Key petroleum contracts including PSCs, licensing, concessions and joint ventures
- Negotiation techniques and the role of counsel
- Explanation and analysis of the key petroleum provisions to make the contract works
- The arrangements within the host government contracts’ framework
- Review the relationship dynamics between governments and IOCs, and how this applies to contractors on the supply chain
- Dispute resolutions relevant to the petroleum sector