An Intensive 5-Day Training Course
Advanced FIDIC and Other Model Forms
in International Contracting
We currently have no scheduled session for this Course. If you are interested in running this course, please contact our Training Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why Choose this Training Course?
Why Choose this Course?
All business relationships are essentially contracts, and a comprehensive understanding of contract law in the international context, and its commercial application, are essential elements in the effective management of the business to business interface. Contracts are becoming increasingly complex, and as trade becomes ever more international, the differences in approach between different legal systems, and contracting strategies, become greater issues.
All business professionals need to understand both their own and the other party’s rights and responsibilities under the contract, and their relationship with third parties. Good contract management is a core competency of successful organisations. The effective expenditure of money and resources is dependent on successful contract management activities: selecting the appropriate models, understanding the legal principles of creating a contract, managing each party’s rights and obligations, and dealing with claims and disputes are all key areas within this discipline.
The course will look at the following key areas:
- International model forms and contracting strategies – types, uses and risks
- Different legal systems and laws
- Principal rights and responsibilities of each contracting party – legal and risk issues and their management
- Finance issues and security measures
- Remedies and dispute resolution
What are the Goals?
What are the Goals?
- Provide an overview of international model forms and contracting strategies
- Enhance understanding of different legal systems and law
- Improve appreciation of legal and risk issues in contracts
- Learn how to manage financial issues and ways to assess security
- Increase understanding as to how and why disputes arise, and their resolution
How will this Training Course be Presented?
How will this be Presented?
The programme will include a variety of instructional methods, and involve a high level of interaction. Our experienced international practitioner will explain principles and issues, supported by real examples and case studies, including specific reference to FIDIC and other international model forms. Delegates will be given the opportunity to work on both individual and group exercises, and encouraged to share their own experiences through discussion and debate.
Day One: Introduction to International Model Forms, Contracting Strategies
- FIDIC Suite of Documents
- NEC, LOGIC (CRINE)
- Contracting Strategies and Risk
- Common and Civil Law Jurisdictions
- Choice of Governing Law and System
- Contract Formation
- Contract Structure and Drafting
Day Two: Principal Obligations – Legal and Risk Issues, and Their Management
- Time – Progress and Completion
- Quality – Standard, Inspection and Testing
- Hand-Over and Acceptance
- Risk Transfer
- Force Majeure
Day Three: Principal Obligations
- Assignment and Novation
- Variations and Changes
- Indemnities and Insurances
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Bribery and Corruption
Day Four: Financial Provisions, Security and Procedures
- Contract Price – Analysis, Measurement, Evaluation
- Economic Price Adjustment
- Payment Terms
- Valuation of Claims
- Assessing Financial Security
Day Five: Remedies and Dispute Resolution
- Suspension and Termination
- Types of Loss and Damage
- Limits and Exclusions of Liability
- Negotiation – Clauses and Techniques
- Different Approaches to Dispute Resolution
- On successful completion of this training course, a PetroKnowledge Certificate will be awarded to the delegates