An Intensive 5-Day Training Course
Value Creation in the Global Marketplace
Understanding the Challenges of the Energy Industry and International Finance
|08 - 12 May 2023||London - UK||$5,950|
|04 - 08 Sep 2023||London - UK||$5,950|
Why Choose this Training Course?
Oil and gas business is capital-intensive and risky. Yet, “fortune favors the bold”, as risk often goes with expectation of reward. In this course, we discuss the process of value creation within the global energy value chain. We show that almost every energy project, while unique in technical features, would be subject to global dynamics of the energy markets and economies of the international trade.
The energy value chain is interconnected, and major investment decisions should consider threats and opportunities. We discuss fundamentals of value creation in upstream, midstream, and the downstream industries. Within international partnerships, financial value and risk drive negotiations and the long-term outlook decides their fates. We discuss that creation of value (and mitigation of adverse effects) are only possible through prudent investment and partnership decisions. We further introduce the participants to analytical tools that support business decision making.
This Value Creation in the Global Marketplace training course will highlight:
- International petroleum business and opportunities to create value
- Value creation or destruction is only possible through decisions
- Uncertainty and risk lead to challenges in management decision making
- Market dynamics and international outlook leads to key insights
- Prudent investment decisions using analytical tools combined with market insights
- Emerging trends: environmental concerns, emission markets, and international business
What are the Goals?
All business decisions have uncertain outcomes. International collaborations have multi-fold risks. Our goal is to convey the message that value creation involves risks and opportunities. Learning about the market mechanisms, and the goals of the international corporations, leads to insights that supports good decision making.
At the end of this Value Creation in the Global Marketplace training course, you will learn to:
- Explain the challenges of the energy industry and international finance
- Analyze the financial risk and rewards in energy markets
- Develop an overall understanding of the markets and features of energy project that exploit these opportunities
- Develop and shape effective strategic alliances with international partners
- Apply the understanding about international laws and regulations to create value
Who is this Training Course for?
This Value Creation in a Global Marketplace training course is useful for middle and senior managers, as well as analysts, engineers, and consultants that support the process of decision making. Professionals interested in the practice of pricing and risk management also find this course useful.
This PetroKnowledge training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Management team interested in understanding market mechanisms and international business
- Commercial staff interested in gaining in-depth knowledge of international partnership
- Decision makers involved in investment and strategic alliances
- Analysts interested in learning about global landscape of energy business
- Researchers and practitioners who aim to broaden their knowledge of international petroleum industry
How will this Training Course be Presented?
The training course instructor uses a proven learning technology that has been implemented in the UK and US top universities (as well as industrial settings) with considerable success. The sessions include lectures, discussions, and guided real-world practice. The aim is to develop problem-solvers and effective decision makers rather than merely conveying information.
All firms, including oil and gas companies, run businesses. For them, creating value should be the goal. With uncertain prices and costs, the challenge is in good decision making. The firms should be able to find and invest in valuable ventures. This training course trains individuals that:
- Increase organization’s capabilities in analyzing the uncertain ventures, especially within an international setting
- Possess knowledge and skills to deal with investment decisions in a global setting
- Are effective in enhancing value chain through hedging risks and capitalizing on upsides
- Understand the overall mechanics of the markets and appeal of the ventures
- Support the prudent decision-making process in partnerships and international projects
- Open doors to further opportunities and more informed decisions
Gaining knowledge and skills in the risk-reward relationships of energy markets opens one’s perspectives. This is because the skills lead to improved decision-making skills that enhance the value of the person in an organization. The set of skills and knowledge that this training course offers prepares individuals for a more effective role within the process of corporate decision making.
This Value Creation in the Global Marketplace training course:
- Prepares individuals for a role with wider insights and perspective
- Gives participants a more informed frame of mind and generate valuable insights
- Supports their existing knowledge and skillset with analytical capabilities
- Enables participants to analyze complex trading and investment decisions
- Develops personal skills in pricing, corporate finance, and effective decision making
Day One: Oil Market as the World Market
- Basic understanding of energy commodities
- Global crude oil markets, volatility as a measure of risk
- Regional gas markets: the value of long-term agreements
- Oil as a fungible commodity, price differentials in grades and locations of crude oil
- Benchmarks of crude oil, why markets are nearly efficient and what drives prices?
- Brent Crude or West Texas Intermediate? How about other benchmarks?
- Why natural gas is considered a “transitional” source of energy?
Day Two: Value Creation within Energy Industry - The Strategic View
- The outlook of the business, strategic decisions, and long-term forecasts
- Principles of corporate finance for the oil and gas companies
- Behavioral finance and international business
- Forecasting for international business: valuation, project finance, and strategy
- Interwoven uncertain factors of the business: subsurface and above the surface
- A first discussion of international financial management
Day Three: Risk, Uncertainty, and Techno-Economic Valuations of Business Opportunities
- Oil Prices, the role of markets, corporate prices, and capital budgeting
- Market risk and the company’s discount rate
- The effect of time and risk discounting
- A brief introduction to the Capital Asset Pricing Model
- The weighted average cost of capital (WACC)
- Practical aspects of petroleum business decisions
Day Four: International Business, Risk Management, and Forming Partnerships
- Commodity markets and arbitrage opportunities
- Currency exchange and political risks: two features of international business
- Partnerships could be win-win once they create an economic advantage
- Emerging environmental concerns and the emission markets: CO2 and NOx
- Insurance to cover risk
Day Five: Implementation of the Concepts
- Decision quality: how to model key aspects of business opportunities
- Decision trees: analytical tools that support communications and appraisals
- Simulation studies: an overall view of the uncertain factors
- Value of Information: how information potentially changes the decisions?
- Corporate governance: how to incentivize managers to make good decisions?
- Value of appraisal wells, cluster exploration campaign, and real options
- On successful completion of this training course, a PetroKnowledge Certificate will be awarded to the delegates